FiveCAP, Inc. is now accepting names from residents interested in free tax preparation services. Specific appointment times will not be available until February, but signing up for the list will ensure a call from one of the Community Support Workers to set up a time as soon as appointments are available.
“We’re waiting for the IRS to release the forms we need to be able to do income tax returns,” said FiveCAP Community Support Director Holly Haywood. “As soon as we get them, we will begin booking appointments.”
Each year, FiveCAP offers free tax preparation services to residents of its four-county service area that includes Mason, Manistee, Lake and Newaygo counties. In 2013, FiveCAP prepared tax returns for 1,543 individuals from 1,023 households. A total of $851,041 was returned to these residents.
“We want to remind people to have their taxes done even if they don’t have earned income because they may still be eligible for credits,” Haywood added. “Even though many individuals aren’t required to file a return, they may qualify to get money back and every little bit certainly helps.”
Residents should be prepared to provide the following documents at the time of their tax preparation appointment:
- Any W-2 and/or 1099 forms
- Year-end statement for those who receive Social Security benefits
- Year-end and quarterly statements for those who receive SSI benefits
- Family Independence statements from the Department of Human Services
- Child support statements
- Unemployment benefit statements
- Any other statements for income received in 2013
- Heating costs from Nov. 1, 2012 to Oct. 30, 2013
- Property tax statements (both summer and winter) with State Equalized Value
- Birthdays and Social Security numbers for themselves and any dependents
To put your name on the list for tax preparation services, call FiveCAP at (231) 757-3785.